UK-based NRI assumes charge as Mayor of Southwark
London: A UK-based NRI Sunil Chopra has assumed charge as the Mayor of the London Borough of Southwark, becoming the first Indian-origin person to hold the prestigious office.
He was installed as the first citizen of the Borough at a gala ceremony held at the iconic Southwark Cathedrawl last evening in presence of a large gathering including Gowri Shankar, Deputy Director of the Nehru Centre, the cultural wing of the Indian High Commission here.
In his acceptance speech, Chopra announced that "the Robes Project and Homes for Heroes" would be his charity for the new municipal year.
The Robes Project provides temporary accommodation to the homeless.
Chopra, General Secretary of the Indian Overseas Congress, London, is the first and only Indian-origin elected councillor in London Borough of Southwark, which has 1.5 per cent Indian-origin population.
Last year Chopra was elected deputy mayor and following his re-election on May 22?as the Labour Councillor, he was elected as the Mayor.
Born and brought up in Delhi, Chopra was the first President of College of Vocational Studies in Delhi before moving to the UK.
During his university days he was Vice-President of Youth Congress Delhi and President of NSUI, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day