UK: Cameron`s ex-media chief held for perjury
London: UK Prime Minister David Cameron`s former top media advisor Andy Coulson was on Wednesday arrested by Scottish police over allegations of perjury.
Coulson, 44, was detained at his London home early this morning and was taken to Glasgow.
He has been arrested on suspicion of committing perjury at the 2010 trial of Tommy Sheridan, who was a member of the Scottish Parliament.
Coulson, former editor of the media baron Rupert Murdoch`s now defunct News of the World from 2003 to 2007, resigned as Cameron`s director of communications in January 2011.
His appointment as the Prime Minister`s director of communications has often embarrassed Cameron in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal.
A police spokeswoman said: "Officers from Strathclyde Police`s Operation Rubicon team detained a 44-year-old man in London this morning under section 14 of the Criminal Procedure Scotland act 1995 on suspicion of committing perjury before the High Court in Glasgow".
Coulson was the editor of the News of the World in 2006 when Sheridan won a defamation suit and 200,000 pounds in damages.
In 2007, he was charged with perjury, and in December 2010 he was convicted of perjury.
He was later sentenced to three years imprisonment. After the phone-hacking controversy at the News of the World, the Crown Office has been ordered to reassess the Sheridan case.
Sheridan was released from prison on 30 January 2012, one year into his sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow