UK clamps down on corporate greed protestors
London: The Wall Street replica anti-
capitalist protestors in Britain camping by the side of St
Pauls Cathedral were served eviction notice by the British
authorities on Tuesday cutting short their hopes of a long siege.
The city of London corporation served the eviction notice
on the protestors at 12.00 hours GMT to remove their tents
from outside the London`s landmark within 48 hours or face
legal action, according to reports.
The protest camps have sprouted outside the Cathedral,
which is adjacent to London`s business hub since October 15
with people taking to the streets to protest corporate greed
and against inequality.
Similar camps have also come up elsewhere in UK as part of
the Occupy movement that spread from New York.
The city corporation handed a letter to the demonstrators
who have turned the churchyard into a sprawling campsite and
protest have claimed the head of St Pauls church Graeme
Knowles, who resigned after facing criticism for trying to
move the protesters.
The protestors have pitched 200 colourful tents on the
Cathedral`s main gate and north side facing London Stock
The disputes over the protesters has plunged the Anglican
church into a crisis as bishops debate how to handle the
The city corporation has warned the protestors that the
High Court action will follow unless the camp is cleared
within 48 hours.
Home Secretary Theresa May has urged the authorities to
coordinate moves the clear the encampment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?