UK cops fear another wave of riots?
London: British police fear a second wave of riots across England and are concerned they may not have the resources to cope, according to a new analysis of the 2011 unrest.
Many police officers from all ranks expect a repeat of the riots that spread across London and other towns in England last summer, and feel they may not be equipped to cope, the analysis by the London School of Economics and The Guardian says.
One of the key findings is that police forces across England did not know how to respond to social media networks, particularly encrypted Blackberry Messaging, which enabled rioters and looters to organise and at times outmanoeuvre police.
Control rooms were also swamped with intelligence from the internet and unable to sort rumour from fact on Twitter and Facebook, leading to mistakes when deploying resources, the analysis says.
Police of all ranks told researchers that they were astonished no colleagues were killed during the last year`s riots.
Nearly all of the officers interviewed described the riots as the greatest physical and psychological challenge of their careers.
Professor Tim Newburn, academic head of the analysis from the LSE, said: "August`s riots stretched the police service very seriously indeed. In terms of officer numbers, our research suggests the police outside London were largely able to cope - albeit only just, in many cases ? but in the capital for three days there were simply too few resources."?
He added: "The issue of police tactics is more complex, not least because tactics varied somewhat from force to force and area to area.
"In contrast to the considerable criticism aimed at the Met, elsewhere our research found a real sense among police that their actions had been widely seen as both effective and largely understood."
According to the analysis, police of all ranks were shocked and surprised by the extent and nature of violence directed at them, as well as the speed with which it escalated in August 2011.
Police officers generally believed that, should further riots occur, greater numbers of officers on the ground were far more important, and likely to be more effective, than introducing new water cannon or using plastic bullets, the LSE said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow