UK Council spent £5 mn to buy make up, India trips
London: Staff at one of the Britain’s largest County Councils have spent over GBP five million of taxpayers’ money on corporate credit cards in the last two years, including fast food and trips to India, according to a report.
Members of Essex County Council used corporate credit cards to pay for restaurant visits, make up, haircuts, dry cleaning and outings to bars and nightclubs, figures revealed under the Freedom of Information Act have shown.
Figures showed that over GBP 10,000 was spent in record shops, nearly GBP 90,000 on hotels and resort stays, and over GBP 1,500,000 on paying fines such as court fees.
Nearly GBP 3,116 was spent on six people staying at the Nan Lin Hotel in China, and GBP 1,301 for six people to stay at the Taj Lands End hotel in India, The Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, a spokeswoman for the council said the money, spent between December 2009 and April 2012, was mostly spent on buying ‘necessary materials for children in care’.
The outings, luxury goods and were purchased directly for them, she said, with other items being used by staff working for their benefit.
Figures published by the Brentwood Gazette as part of an investigation into council waste found officers spent GBP 5,136,145 in 27 months.
Eric Pickles, local government secretary and Brentwood and Ongar MP, told the paper the amount “strikes him as excessive”.
“People at Essex County Council need to realise that it isn’t Essex’s money, it isn’t the Government’s money, it is the public’s money and the public have a right to know how it is being spent,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27