UK Council spent £5 mn to buy make up, India trips
London: Staff at one of the Britain’s largest County Councils have spent over GBP five million of taxpayers’ money on corporate credit cards in the last two years, including fast food and trips to India, according to a report.
Members of Essex County Council used corporate credit cards to pay for restaurant visits, make up, haircuts, dry cleaning and outings to bars and nightclubs, figures revealed under the Freedom of Information Act have shown.
Figures showed that over GBP 10,000 was spent in record shops, nearly GBP 90,000 on hotels and resort stays, and over GBP 1,500,000 on paying fines such as court fees.
Nearly GBP 3,116 was spent on six people staying at the Nan Lin Hotel in China, and GBP 1,301 for six people to stay at the Taj Lands End hotel in India, The Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, a spokeswoman for the council said the money, spent between December 2009 and April 2012, was mostly spent on buying ‘necessary materials for children in care’.
The outings, luxury goods and were purchased directly for them, she said, with other items being used by staff working for their benefit.
Figures published by the Brentwood Gazette as part of an investigation into council waste found officers spent GBP 5,136,145 in 27 months.
Eric Pickles, local government secretary and Brentwood and Ongar MP, told the paper the amount “strikes him as excessive”.
“People at Essex County Council need to realise that it isn’t Essex’s money, it isn’t the Government’s money, it is the public’s money and the public have a right to know how it is being spent,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown