UK Defence Secretary quits over "adviser" scandal
London: British Defense Secretary Liam Fox resigned on Friday amid a furor over his friendship with a businessman with defense interests, dealing a blow to Prime Minister David Cameron`s government and casting doubts on efforts to reform the military.
The British media have in the last week been awash with stories about the nature of the relationship between Fox and his former flatmate and best man at his wedding, Adam Werritty, who met frequently with Fox and falsely claimed to be his adviser.
Cameron had given Fox, 50, his support pending the findings of an inquiry, due within days, into whether he had broken ministerial rules by allowing Werritty to benefit from their friendship or have access to classified information.
"I mistakenly allowed the distinction between my personal interest and my government activities to become blurred," Fox said in a resignation letter to Cameron.
"The consequences of this have become clearer in recent days. I am very sorry for this."
Cameron said he was "very sorry" to see Fox go, and praised the "superb job" he had done.
"You have overseen fundamental changes in the Ministry of Defense and in our Armed Forces, which will ensure that they are fully equipped to meet the challenges of the modern era," Cameron said in a letter to Fox.
"On Libya, you played a key role in the campaign to stop people being massacred by the Gaddafi regime and instead win their freedom."
Werritty had no security clearance nor government role, but met Fox at least 40 times in the last 18 months at the defense ministry and abroad, where Werritty joined Fox`s meetings with officials, dignitaries and at least one businessman.
Fox`s role is particularly sensitive given Britain`s role in Afghanistan, where there are some 10,000 British troops, and in Libya, where British fighter jets have been key in a NATO campaign to protect civilians.
Fox was also in charge of billions of pounds of military spending, and last year launched an ambitious and controversial plan to overhaul the military to fix a 38 billion pound ($60 billion) "black hole" of unfunded defense spending.
Fox had initially dismissed claims of impropriety regarding his relationship with Werritty as "utterly baseless" and "wild allegations," but later went on to apologize for allowing "distinctions to be blurred."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'