UK dishonour killing: `Parents murdered my sister`
London: The sister of a Pak-origin teenage girl has told British police that she had watched her parents kill their elder daughter in a `dishonour` killing.
Alesha Ahmed testified that her parents had killed Shafilea Ahmed by suffocating her with a carrier bag, a court heard.
Alesha, now 23, said she had watched her parents ``acting together`` as they murdered Shafilea in September 2003, The Guardian reports.
However, Iftikhar Ahmed, 52, and his wife Farzana, 49, have denied murdering their daughter.
The badly decomposed body of Shafilea was found near a flooded Cumbrian River in February 2004.
Andrew Edis QC, prosecuting, told Chester crown court that on the night of Shafilea`s death, Alesha saw her parents kill her sister at their home in Warrington, Cheshire.
He said: "Both parents, acting together, got a carrier bag that they forced into her mouth. Their hands were over her face, closing her airways so she couldn`t breathe."
Giving evidence from behind a screen, Alesha wept as she recalled how a knife was used during a previous ``frantic attack`` by her parents to scare Shafilea.
She also told that Shafilea was given a drugged drink by her mother before flying to Pakistan.
Her parents had taken her to Pakistan six months before her death in an attempt to force her into an arranged marriage.
Alesha said that during the trip her father had threatened Shafilea, saying: "If something happened to her, no one would find out."
Alesha alleged that everyone in Pakistan carried guns, and their father said: "There`s a gun back there [a reference to another room]".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray