UK dishonour killing: `Parents murdered my sister`
London: The sister of a Pak-origin teenage girl has told British police that she had watched her parents kill their elder daughter in a `dishonour` killing.
Alesha Ahmed testified that her parents had killed Shafilea Ahmed by suffocating her with a carrier bag, a court heard.
Alesha, now 23, said she had watched her parents ``acting together`` as they murdered Shafilea in September 2003, The Guardian reports.
However, Iftikhar Ahmed, 52, and his wife Farzana, 49, have denied murdering their daughter.
The badly decomposed body of Shafilea was found near a flooded Cumbrian River in February 2004.
Andrew Edis QC, prosecuting, told Chester crown court that on the night of Shafilea`s death, Alesha saw her parents kill her sister at their home in Warrington, Cheshire.
He said: "Both parents, acting together, got a carrier bag that they forced into her mouth. Their hands were over her face, closing her airways so she couldn`t breathe."
Giving evidence from behind a screen, Alesha wept as she recalled how a knife was used during a previous ``frantic attack`` by her parents to scare Shafilea.
She also told that Shafilea was given a drugged drink by her mother before flying to Pakistan.
Her parents had taken her to Pakistan six months before her death in an attempt to force her into an arranged marriage.
Alesha said that during the trip her father had threatened Shafilea, saying: "If something happened to her, no one would find out."
Alesha alleged that everyone in Pakistan carried guns, and their father said: "There`s a gun back there [a reference to another room]".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video