UK envoy in Delhi to move to US?
London: Sir Richard Stagg, the British
high commissioner in India, is likely to move as the next
ambassador to Washington and may be replaced by Sir Sherard
Cowper-Coles, UK`s envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The reshuffle is expected as part of key moves planned
in the Foreign Office by the new government, reports here
Stagg may be replaced by Cowper-Coles, who has gone on
"extended leave" from Kabul and is almost certain not to go
back, the reports say.
The Independent reported today that significant
changes may take place in the diplomatic service to accompany
the recent overhaul of foreign policy by Foreign secretary
The newspaper reported that key posts in Washington,
Paris and Delhi as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
in London may change hands.
Mentioning the likely change in Delhi, the report
said: "The Indians, with their civil service culture stuck in
many ways in the days of the Raj, were rather taken aback by
the informal style of Sir Richard, a former press spokesman in
Brussels, when he arrived, but since then he has described by
one diplomat as a `charming man with twinkling eyes`".
Stagg`s popularity, the report said, may be a factor
against his going to the US as the new government is keen to
nurture ties with emerging powers.
Prime Minister David Cameron is scheduled to lead a
large delegation to Delhi, where the coalition government is
keen to operationalise its promise to forge a `new special
relationship` with India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title