UK experts to help Iraq destroy chemical residues
Baghdad: Britain will help the Iraqi government dispose of what`s left of deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein`s chemical weapons, still stored in two bunkers in north of Baghdad, the British embassy in Baghdad announced on Monday.
The British Defense Ministry will start training Iraqi technical and medical workers this year, an embassy statement said. The teams will work to safely destroy remnants of munitions and chemical warfare agents left over from Saddam`s regime. He was overthrown in 2003 following an American-led invasion.
Saddam stored the chemical weapons near population centers so that he could access them quickly, despite the danger to his civilian population.
ost of Iraq`s chemical weapons were destroyed by military forces in 1991 during the first Gulf War or by UN inspectors after the fighting. The inspections halted just before the invasion.
Iraq is a party to the UN Chemical Weapons Convention and must get rid of the remaining material, according to terms of the pact.
The head of the Iraqi National Authority, Mohammed Al Sharaa, said the remnants "represent a great challenge to the Iraqi experts to safely dispose." He called the agreement with British authorities "a good opportunity for Iraqi experts to benefit from the well-known expertise of UK experts."
British Ambassador to Iraq Simon Collis said Britain is glad to assist in what he called "this difficult and dangerous task."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video