UK flight aborted after pilot smells volcanic ash in cockpit
London: A Thomas Cook flight from Manchester, UK, to Corfu, Greece, was dramatically aborted on Wednesday, after the pilot smelt volcanic ash and reported an engine fault.
The Boeing 757 had just left Manchester with only crew on board to rescue stranded holidaymakers when the drama began shortly after 1 am.
“We’ve had the smell of ash in the aircraft and twice one of our engine bleed-airs has failed. We’re pretty sure it’s volcanic ash,” The Sun quoted the unnamed captain, as saying during the tense cockpit moments.
“In the climb, we could smell the ash. The smell stayed on for a while. Once we`d levelled at 39 (39,000ft) we then lost one engine bleed, so we’ve taken all the required actions for volcanic ash encounter,” the captain added.
After a request from the captain to be allowed to land quickly without being put in a holding pattern, the Boeing returned safely to Manchester.
Thomas Cook said the flight was aborted as a precautionary measure due to a “minor technical fault with its air conditioning”.
A spokeswoman insisted that it was not caused by ash and the plane was in no danger.
The flight was among the first to leave after the UK ban on air traffic was lifted, and experts fear that ash may have clogged up the engine bleed valve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola