UK govt video to stop young Muslims from becoming extremists
London: The UK Foreign Office has been accused of wasting taxpayers’ money for designing an animated film to stop Muslim teenagers from becoming Islamic extremists.
Officials have spent nearly GBP 33,000 on ‘Wish You Waziristan’, a tale of two young British Muslim brothers who decide to join a group of Islamic fighters on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
The cartoon, which combines computer game-style graphics and teenage street slang, opens with a failed attempt by the brothers to launch a grenade from a mountain top in the Waziristan region of Pakistan.
The story is told from the point of view of the unnamed younger brother, who has little time for the cause and has agreed to become involved only out of respect for his elder brother Abu.
The brothers are then shown watching a series of training videos featuring Osama bin Laden before joining the fighters in Waziristan.
Critics, including members of the Muslim community, have questioned the wisdom of the film, which has been branded naive and simplistic, the Daily Mail reports.
Dr Mohammad Shahid Raza, an imam at Leicester Central Mosque, criticised the film and said the descriptions of the fighters, the brothers encounter are particularly unrealistic.
Dr Ghayasuddin Siddiqui, the founder of the Muslim Institute think-tank, said the film would have been more effective if it had confined itself to the issue of the racism.
“It should have asked its audience to concentrate on that rather than going off at a tangent. What follows is a waste of time,” said Siddiqui.
A company called Bold Creative, which specialises in educational films aimed at teenagers, has produced the film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly