UK hacking: Ex-NoTW editor arrested, released
London: Former managing editor of the News of
the World, Stuart Kuttner, was on Wednesday apprehended and later
released on bail, marking the 11th arrest in the phone-hacking
scandal at the now-defunct tabloid.
Kuttner, 70, apparently did not know he was going to be
taken into custody when he arrived, by appointment, with his
solicitor at a police station in London at around 11am to
answer questions regarding the scandal.
As per normal practice, Scotland Yard has not released
the name of the arrested person, but according to Sky News and
The Guardian, he is Kuttner, who was a leading figure in the
News of the World until 2009.
He was bailed this evening until later this month.
Kuttner was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to
intercept communications, contrary to Section 1 (1) Criminal
Law Act 1977, and on suspicion of corruption allegations
contrary to Section 1 of the Prevention of Corruption Act
Rebekah Brooks, ex-editor of the News of the World, was
also arrested under the same charges.
Kuttner resigned as the managing editor in 2009, after
playing a leading role in the tabloid`s `Sarah`s Law`
campaign, which sought to change the law, so parents can be
told when registered sex offenders move into their area.
He was previously news editor at the London Evening
Police from both Operation Weeting, the Metropolitan
police investigation into phone hacking, and Elveden, the
investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to
police, were reported to have been involved in the arrest.
The development is the latest in a scandal that has
already caused the closure of the 168-year-old newspaper and
the resignation of two top police officers, as well as 10
Others arrested and bailed included ex-NoTW editor Andy
Coulson, ex-NoTW assistant editor Ian Edmondson, ex-NoTW chief
reporter Neville Thurlbeck, senior ex-NoTW journalist James
Weatherup, freelance journalist Terenia Taras, an unnamed
63-year-old man, and ex-NoTW royal editor Clive Goodman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'