UK hikes student visa fees, introduces new dependent visa
London: Britain on Thursday announced a steep hike
of 54 pounds in the student visa fee and introduced a new
category of `dependent relative` visa as a part of its effort
to attract those migrants and visitors who can "make a valued
The fees for the students` visa was raised from 145
pounds to 199 pounds while the dependent relative visa would
be charged 1680 pounds. The increased fees will come into from
"The new visa category of `dependent relative` will allow
the grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles and siblings over
the age of 18 to join family members settled in the UK or
being admitted for the purpose of settlement," an official
announcement said. The hike also takes into account the cost
of processing visa applications.
The fees for short term visit visa has been marginally
increased from 67 pounds to 68 pounds.
The Tier 1 General, Investor, Entrepreneur visa fees has
been increased from 675 pounds to 690 pounds while Tier 2 visa
for skilled workers will charged 270 pounds from 265 pounds.
The 5-year multiple entry visa fees increased from 400
pounds to 429 pounds while charges for 10-year visa increased
from 500 pounds to 610 pounds.
The Tier 4 student visa fee increased from 145 pounds to
199 pounds. The settlement visa fee will be 585 pounds to 644
"Visa fees are reviewed regularly and agreed by the
parliament. In setting the fees, the UK government aims to
strike the correct balance between maintaining secure and
effective borders and improving the visa service to customers,
and ensuring that the fee structure supports the UK`s ability
to attract those migrants and visitors that make a valued
contribution," the official release said.
"In most visa categories the maximum fee increase is 2.5
per cent. Some fees continue to be set at a level lower than
the actual processing cost because it is considered to be in
the interests of the UK to do so.
Examples of subsidised visa categories include tourist
visas and also the Tier 4 student visa which reflects the
contribution made by international students to the UK economy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'