UK `hit-and-run` injures Asian-origin siblings
London: Two Asian-origin children, a two- year-old boy and his 10-year-old sister, were critically injured when they were knocked down after buying onions for the family`s Eid celebrations, in a hit-and-run in Leeds.
Raham Saleem and his sister Sabam were hit by a Vauxhall Astra in Brudenell Road in the Hyde Park area yesterday.
Police said Sabam had taken her brother to a shop and they were heading home when they were hit near the Makkah Masjid mosque.
Both are in a critical condition after surgery at Leeds General Infirmary, the BBC reported.
Police said the driver slowed down to see what had happened and then sped away.
Detective Supt Paul Taylor, of the homicide and major inquiry team who is leading the investigation, said: "They went to the shop to buy some onions for their mum, preparing for Eid celebrations today.”
"They were crossing the road and they were struck by a vehicle, both were injured and underwent operations overnight...We are very concerned about their condition."
Taylor added: "Her parents have told us that Sabam in particular couldn`t wait to celebrate Eid today and instead she is now fighting for her life in a hospital bed.”
He said CCTV had been examined and experts would study more footage to try to identify the car`s registration number.
"I would appeal to that driver to come forward so he or she can tell us what happened," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'