UK: Illegal Indian immigrant caught after 13 years
London: An Indian immigrant who arrived in Britain illegally by hiding in a lorry and remained undetected here for 13 years, has been jailed for eight months and faces deportation at the end of the sentence.
Sohan Dhillon, 52, arrived in the UK in 1999, and went on to earn a living without paying taxes as a builder in Newcastle, north England. His cover was blown when UK Border Agency officers raided his house in the town.
But during the raid too he gave a false name, claimed to be a UK citizen and produced a stolen passport, reports from Newcastle said.
He has now been jailed for eight months for possessing an identification document with an improper intention.
Judge Roger Thorn, at Newcastle Crown Court, told him last week: "The police were tipped off there were illegal immigrants in the house where you and your son were. You presented a passport to justify your presence in this country and you were able to support it with an explanation the officers thought was genuine and valid."
He added: "However the deception here went on from the start of your period in the country, you were keeping below the radar, working illegally and not paying taxes."
The Sun reported that when Dhillon was interviewed, he admitted giving false details, and disclosed that he had arrived in the UK in 1999 on the back of a lorry.
Immigration officials found a man with his details was given entrance clearance in 1999 for six months but there was no further application to remain in this country.
Brian Hegarty, defending lawyer, said: "He has been working and has been out of trouble, he was trying to keep under the radar. Immigration wants him to be deported."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees