UK intelligence helping Syria rebels against Assad regime
London: British intelligence on Syrian troop movements is playing a major role in helping the country’s rebel groups in their fight against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, it has emerged.
According to an official, intelligence on troop movements is being passed from British authorities’ Cyprus bases to the rebel troops of the Free Syrian Army through Turkey.
“British intelligence is observing things closely from Cyprus. It`s very useful because they find out a great deal,” the official told The Sunday Times.
“The British are giving the information to the Turks and the Americans and we are getting it from the Turks,” he added.
The official said that most valuable intelligence till date has been regarding the movements of troops loyal to Assad towards Aleppo city, which is partly controlled by rebels, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, the UK has two sovereign military bases in Cyprus at Dhekelia and Akrotiri.
They draw intelligence from the airwaves for GCHQ, Britain``s listening post in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
According to the paper, the official said rebel forces in Aleppo had also received US satellite imagery, which the Turks had passed on from the CIA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day