UK-Ireland sign pact on illegal immigration
London: The UK and Irish governments have
signed an agreement to preserve the Common Travel Area and
help crack down on illegal immigration.
The Common Travel Area is a passport-free zone that
comprises Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the
Channel Irelands and can be crossed by Irish and British
citizens with only minimal identity documents, a Home Office
The agreement outlines work being taken on by both
countries to prevent abuses of the Common Travel Area, while
protecting its long-established benefits of trade and tourism.
Immigration Minister Damian Green said: "This agreement
will help us quickly refuse those with poor immigration
records, identify asylum shoppers and speed up the removal
process in those cases where people have entered the Common
He added: "The benefits the Common Travel Area brings to
travellers and the economies of our countries are
well-established but it should not be exploited by those with
no right to be here."
The meeting also included a commitment to the exchange of
information, such as fingerprint biometrics and biographical
details, particularly from `high risk` countries, as part of
the visa issuing process.
Close co-operation between the two countries has this
year revealed that of 1,516 failed asylum claims made in
Ireland, nearly 500 have been identified as being known to the
UK Border Agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?