UK kids cannot write a simple wish-list to Santa
London: Four-in-10 boys and almost a fifth of girls in the UK cannot write a simple shopping list or a letter to Santa Claus, a new study has found.
The study also found that more than one in seven British boys are unable to write their own names at the age of five.
Researchers found that 15 per cent of boys struggle to form simple words such as dog, cat, mum and dad from memory at the end of the reception year, the `Telegraph` reported.
The figures show that British boys are twice as likely as girls to fail in basic writing at the end of pre-school.
Data from the Department for Education also showed that four-in-10 boys and almost a fifth of girls cannot write a simple shopping list or a letter to Santa.
As many as eight per cent boys cannot count up to 10, compared with just five per cent of girls, the data showed.
The disclosure follows warnings that too many boys are failing to get a good start to their education.
A cross-party group of UK lawmakers and peers have warned that large numbers of boys were failing to develop literacy skills at an early age because of a shortage of male teachers combined with an anti-book culture among many fathers.
The department acknowledged that "girls continue to achieve at a higher level than boys" in every area of early development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?