UK: Man jailed for threatening terror attack against royal couple
London: A 27-year-old man who posted a video online, warning of a terror attack against William and Kate Middleton during their royal wedding, was today jailed for a total of two years and seven months for terrorism offences.
Afsor Ali, was sentenced to two years and seven months for possessing electronic files on how to participate in Jihad.
Judge Charles Wide said: "It`s absolutely plain you are an extremist and you do support terrorism."
Ali was arrested while trying to board a Eurostar train to Paris in March.
He was found guilty of three counts of possessing information likely to be useful to a terrorist, on August 8, at the Old Bailey.
He admitted possessing someone else`s passport in an unsuccessful bid to flee the country, and pleaded guilty to a bail offence for failing to attend court in February.
Ali was sentenced to 16 months for the passport offence and eight months for skipping bail to run concurrently.
Judge Wide said he had made a "really determined attempt" to evade justice.
Ali was first arrested in December 2011, when he took part in a protest against US drone attacks in Pakistan, alongside members of the banned group Muslims Against Crusades, outside the US embassy.
He was released without charge but a laptop and an external hard drive, seized by officers, was found to contain documents useful to terrorists, the court was told.
The files contained copies of a magazine issued by Al Qaeda and guides on how make a bomb and how to use an AK47 gun.
During the trial, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow told the court Ali had promoted extremism in YouTube videos, under the alias Asad Ullah.
In a 2011 clip, he warned viewers not to attend the royal wedding of William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, because of a terror attack.
He also praised the 9/11 attacks as "an historic event", the court heard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees