UK: Man jailed for threatening terror attack against royal couple
London: A 27-year-old man who posted a video online, warning of a terror attack against William and Kate Middleton during their royal wedding, was today jailed for a total of two years and seven months for terrorism offences.
Afsor Ali, was sentenced to two years and seven months for possessing electronic files on how to participate in Jihad.
Judge Charles Wide said: "It`s absolutely plain you are an extremist and you do support terrorism."
Ali was arrested while trying to board a Eurostar train to Paris in March.
He was found guilty of three counts of possessing information likely to be useful to a terrorist, on August 8, at the Old Bailey.
He admitted possessing someone else`s passport in an unsuccessful bid to flee the country, and pleaded guilty to a bail offence for failing to attend court in February.
Ali was sentenced to 16 months for the passport offence and eight months for skipping bail to run concurrently.
Judge Wide said he had made a "really determined attempt" to evade justice.
Ali was first arrested in December 2011, when he took part in a protest against US drone attacks in Pakistan, alongside members of the banned group Muslims Against Crusades, outside the US embassy.
He was released without charge but a laptop and an external hard drive, seized by officers, was found to contain documents useful to terrorists, the court was told.
The files contained copies of a magazine issued by Al Qaeda and guides on how make a bomb and how to use an AK47 gun.
During the trial, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow told the court Ali had promoted extremism in YouTube videos, under the alias Asad Ullah.
In a 2011 clip, he warned viewers not to attend the royal wedding of William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, because of a terror attack.
He also praised the 9/11 attacks as "an historic event", the court heard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune