UK: Man let off due to `restrictive Muslim background`
London: A British Asian pharmacist, who made crude remarks to three woman colleagues, was on Friday let off by an inquiry panel because he came from a `restrictive Muslim background` and was unaware of the offence his conduct had caused.
Scotland-based pharmacist Khalil Jamil asked one of the women about her favourite love-making position and quizzed another about the mating habits of her horses, but a professional panel ruled his behaviour was not sexually motivated, the Daily Mail reported.
The General Pharmaceutical Council panel found Jamil acted inappropriately by making the comments and standing too close to his assistants.
However, they accepted that his background in a strict Muslim community meant he was unfamiliar to working in such an open environment with women and his basic social skills meant he lacked understanding of appropriate conduct, the report said.
As the remarks were not sexually motivated, the panel cleared Jamil of misconduct and gave him an official warning.
It also took into consideration the fact that Jamil had remedied his actions by attending a `dignity at work` course.
Panel chairman Patrick Malmo said: "He felt the source of this behaviour in 2009, was that he comes from a very restrictive background, with little social life, and none at all outside of his own community".
He added: "He lacked social skills, and had little knowledge of how one should be when working with colleagues.”
"He was unable to distinguish between friendliness and over familiarity. We do not think there is a serious risk of this kind of conduct being repeated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday