UK marine jailed for 10 years for killing injured Taliban
London: A British marine filmed executing a severely injured Taliban insurgent in Afghanistan was jailed for life with a minimum 10 years behind bars by a military court on Friday.
Sergeant Alexander Blackman, 39, was found guilty at a court martial last month of murdering the man while deployed in southern Helmand province in 2011.
The court martial board in Bulford, southwest England, sentenced Blackman today to a life sentence with the 10-year minimum.
Two fellow soldiers were acquitted earlier.
Blackman`s trial heard that he had shot the wounded captive in the chest while quoting Shakespeare and admitting that he had broken the Geneva Convention.
The execution was inadvertently filmed on a comrade`s helmet camera.
The marines found the wounded Afghan man in a field while looking for insurgents who had attacked a patrol base.
They moved him under the cover of trees, where Blackman shot him at close range, paraphrasing a line from "Hamlet" as he convulsed and died in front of him.
"There you are. Shuffle off this mortal coil," he told the dying man. "It`s nothing you wouldn`t do to us."
He then turned to his comrades and said, "Obviously this doesn`t go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva Convention."
Blackman`s name was disclosed yesterday following a High Court ruling that lifted an anonymity order preventing him from being identified.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city