UK media scandal: Senior officer now investigated
London: A serving senior London police
officer is being investigated as part of the corruption
inquiry spawned by the British phone hacking scandal, Scotland
Yard said on Friday.
Police said the officer, whose name has not been
released, is accused of making an "inappropriate disclosure of
information" during the initial inquiry into phone hacking in
The investigation, now discredited, found little evidence
to support claims that journalists at the now-defunct News of
the World tabloid illegally intercepted voicemails.
A police statement said the officer is not accused of
accepting bribes and has not been suspended from duty or had
his role restricted in any way.
"There is no evidence to suggest that any inappropriate
payment of any sort was made to this officer," the statement
Police said the officer works in specialist operations.
Britain`s police watchdog, the Independent Police
Complaints Commission, described the officer as holding a
senior position in the force.
The IPCC said it is investigating whether the officer
improperly disclosed information to an executive at News
International, the British newspaper arm of Rupert Murdoch`s
media empire and publisher of the News of the World.
The watchdog said the investigation started on Feb 7 when
the commission received documents from Operation Elveden, a
wide-ranging investigation into possibly corrupt links between
the police and the press.
Deputy Chair Deborah Glass said the allegation raises
important issues of public confidence in the police and must
be independently investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India