UK minister Chris Huhne quits over criminal charge
London: Britain`s energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne says he has quit the UK government after being charged with attempting to dodge a speeding penalty.
Huhne said Friday the decision to charge him with an offense of perverting the course of justice was "deeply regrettable.``
"I am innocent of these charges and I intend to fight this in the courts and I am confident a jury will agree,`` Huhne said.
Huhne is alleged to have persuaded his now ex-wife, economist Vicky Pryce, to accept a speeding penalty on his behalf in 2003, to escape a driving ban.
Pryce also faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Prime Minister David Cameron`s office did not immediately say who would replace Huhne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH