UK minister Chris Huhne quits over criminal charge
London: Britain`s energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne says he has quit the UK government after being charged with attempting to dodge a speeding penalty.
Huhne said Friday the decision to charge him with an offense of perverting the course of justice was "deeply regrettable.``
"I am innocent of these charges and I intend to fight this in the courts and I am confident a jury will agree,`` Huhne said.
Huhne is alleged to have persuaded his now ex-wife, economist Vicky Pryce, to accept a speeding penalty on his behalf in 2003, to escape a driving ban.
Pryce also faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Prime Minister David Cameron`s office did not immediately say who would replace Huhne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea applies for bail, says her medical condition 'deteriorating'