UK minister Chris Huhne quits over criminal charge
London: Britain`s energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne says he has quit the UK government after being charged with attempting to dodge a speeding penalty.
Huhne said Friday the decision to charge him with an offense of perverting the course of justice was "deeply regrettable.``
"I am innocent of these charges and I intend to fight this in the courts and I am confident a jury will agree,`` Huhne said.
Huhne is alleged to have persuaded his now ex-wife, economist Vicky Pryce, to accept a speeding penalty on his behalf in 2003, to escape a driving ban.
Pryce also faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Prime Minister David Cameron`s office did not immediately say who would replace Huhne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why