UK minister Chris Huhne quits over criminal charge
London: Britain`s energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne says he has quit the UK government after being charged with attempting to dodge a speeding penalty.
Huhne said Friday the decision to charge him with an offense of perverting the course of justice was "deeply regrettable.``
"I am innocent of these charges and I intend to fight this in the courts and I am confident a jury will agree,`` Huhne said.
Huhne is alleged to have persuaded his now ex-wife, economist Vicky Pryce, to accept a speeding penalty on his behalf in 2003, to escape a driving ban.
Pryce also faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Prime Minister David Cameron`s office did not immediately say who would replace Huhne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday