UK minister Chris Huhne quits over criminal charge
London: Britain`s energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne says he has quit the UK government after being charged with attempting to dodge a speeding penalty.
Huhne said Friday the decision to charge him with an offense of perverting the course of justice was "deeply regrettable.``
"I am innocent of these charges and I intend to fight this in the courts and I am confident a jury will agree,`` Huhne said.
Huhne is alleged to have persuaded his now ex-wife, economist Vicky Pryce, to accept a speeding penalty on his behalf in 2003, to escape a driving ban.
Pryce also faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
Prime Minister David Cameron`s office did not immediately say who would replace Huhne.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?