UK MP attacks new rule on Muslim women veils
London: New curbs on Muslim veils in the House of Commons have been criticized by Respect Party MP George Galloway.
Galloway, whose Bradford West constituency has a large ethnic population, said the restrictions could discriminate against Muslim women.
“You may be required to remove any covering which obscures your face,” The rule for everyone who works at the Palace of Westminster states.
According to the Daily Mail, Galloway said that ‘everyone understands the need to have proper security, but these rules seem a little heavy handed and confusing to me’.
One MP, however, said that it would be better for visitors.
“It will be much more welcoming for them if they are greeted by someone whose face they can see clearly,” the MP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi