UK MP pleads guilty to perverting course of justice, resigns
London: Former British cabinet minister Chris Huhne on Monday resigned as Member of Parliament after pleading guilty to perverting the course of justice and now faces the prospect of a jail term.
On the first day of what was to be his trial at Southwark crown court, the Liberal Democrat MP entered a plea of guilty over claims that his ex-wife Vicky Pryce took speeding points for him a decade ago.
The charge relates to an incident in March 2003 when Huhne`s car was allegedly caught by a speed camera on the motorway between Stansted Airport in Essex and London.
It is alleged that between March 12 and May 21, 2003, Pryce, falsely informed police that she was the driver of the car so Huhne could avoid prosecution.
58-year-old Huhne resigned as energy and climate change secretary after he was charged, but had stayed on as Liberal Democrat MP for Eastleigh.
In a statement outside court following his guilty plea, Huhne said, "Having taken responsibility for something that happened 10 years ago, the only proper course of action for me is to resign my Eastleigh seat in Parliament."
Huhne was granted unconditional bail and will be sentenced at a later date.
He is facing a possible prison sentence after pleading guilty to perverting the course of justice.
Huhne was told by the judge he should be "under no illusions about the prospect of his sentence".
Huhne had previously denied claims that his ex-wife took speeding points for him and was due to stand trial alongside former wife Pryce.
But he dramatically changed his plea before the start of the trial at London`s Southwark Crown Court today.
Pryce denied the charge of perverting the course of justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM