UK MP pleads guilty to perverting course of justice, resigns
London: Former British cabinet minister Chris Huhne on Monday resigned as Member of Parliament after pleading guilty to perverting the course of justice and now faces the prospect of a jail term.
On the first day of what was to be his trial at Southwark crown court, the Liberal Democrat MP entered a plea of guilty over claims that his ex-wife Vicky Pryce took speeding points for him a decade ago.
The charge relates to an incident in March 2003 when Huhne`s car was allegedly caught by a speed camera on the motorway between Stansted Airport in Essex and London.
It is alleged that between March 12 and May 21, 2003, Pryce, falsely informed police that she was the driver of the car so Huhne could avoid prosecution.
58-year-old Huhne resigned as energy and climate change secretary after he was charged, but had stayed on as Liberal Democrat MP for Eastleigh.
In a statement outside court following his guilty plea, Huhne said, "Having taken responsibility for something that happened 10 years ago, the only proper course of action for me is to resign my Eastleigh seat in Parliament."
Huhne was granted unconditional bail and will be sentenced at a later date.
He is facing a possible prison sentence after pleading guilty to perverting the course of justice.
Huhne was told by the judge he should be "under no illusions about the prospect of his sentence".
Huhne had previously denied claims that his ex-wife took speeding points for him and was due to stand trial alongside former wife Pryce.
But he dramatically changed his plea before the start of the trial at London`s Southwark Crown Court today.
Pryce denied the charge of perverting the course of justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert