UK MPs to grill Murdoch again on phone-hacking scandal
London: Rupert Murdoch will be hauled up for a second grilling by British MPs later this year, as lawmakers probe the phone-hacking scandal involving the US-based media mogul`s now-defunct News of the World tabloid.
Members of the House of Commons` Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, which had quizzed Murdoch and his son James in July 2011 around allegations of phone-hacking involving the News of the World, voted yesterday to ask him to return in a few months` time in the late autumn.
82-year-old Murdoch will be expected to answer questions over a tape recording of a meeting he had in March with more than 20 Sun newspaper journalists who have been arrested in connection with alleged unlawful payments to police and other public officials for stories.
The recording reveals Murdoch apparently telling journalists that he regretted the level of cooperation given by News UK formerly News International ? to the investigation into illegal payments.
"Mr Murdoch welcomes the opportunity to return to the select committee and answer their questions. He looks forward to clearing up any misconceptions as soon as possible," a statement released by Murdoch`s spokesman said.
Members of the select committee have indicated that the questioning is likely to take place after the criminal trial of Murdoch`s former UK newspaper chief executive Rebekah Brooks scheduled for September.
Scotland Yard said, it will "fully assess" the contents of the recording of Murdoch`s comments in the meeting.
"We are seeking to obtain the tape of the meeting during which Rupert Murdoch appears to have been recorded. We will then assess the full contents of that tape," said Cressida Dick, Metropolitan Police, Assistant Commissioner.
Exaro News, the website that published parts of the recording, said yesterday it was arranging to supply the evidence to Operation Elveden Scotland Yard`s probe into the scandal involving corrupt payments to public officials.
In the recordings from earlier this year, Murdoch purportedly told journalists that the culture of paying police officers for stories "existed at every newspaper in Fleet Street. Long since forgotten. But absolutely," and had existed long before Sun journalists had been arrested.
Murdoch also criticised the "incompetent" police investigation that led to the arrest of so many of his staff.
In one clip broadcast by Channel 4 News on British TV, a journalist asks Murdoch: "I`m pretty confident that the working practices that I`ve seen here are ones that I`ve inherited, rather than instigated. Would you recognise that all this predates many of our involvement here?"
Murdoch replies: "We`re talking about payments for news tips from cops. That`s been going on a hundred years, absolutely. You didn`t instigate it."
News UK has maintained that Murdoch "never knew of payments made by Sun staff to police before News Corporation disclosed that to UK authorities."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India