UK: Muslim beat girl for not reading enough Quran, jailed
London: A Muslim woman in London, who repeatedly beat a 10-year-old girl with a steel ladle for not reading enough verses of the Quran, has been sentenced to nine months in jail.
Asia Parveen had reportedly argued with the girl on August 15 last year during an incident when she accused the girl of lying about how many verses of the Quran she had read while praying, and then hit the girl with the 10-inch ladle for 45 minutes, a Snaresbrook Crown Court in London heard.
Asia Parveen, 31, who was five months pregnant at the time, left the child with 57 injuries and later claimed her ‘hormones’ prompted her violent outburst.
The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, escaped when Parveen went to fetch a knife, which she brandished, saying she was going to kill her.
The judge ignored pleas in a letter from the child victim to spare Parveen, who is now divorced for nine months, from jail.
“You need to understand that this was outrageous behaviour and if you ever attack a child again, you will go to prison for very much longer,” the Daily Mail quoted the judge, as saying.
“Having a very young baby should not be seen as a get out of jail card,” he added.
Parveen, a former professional traditional dancer who had toured worldwide, had been fasting for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan before the attack.
She was considered to be ‘immoral’ by some in the community in Pakistan for her former dancing career and so wanted the girl to take her religious duties seriously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured