UK Muslim clerics ‘willing to marry child brides`
London: British Muslim clerics are willing to carry out marriages involving child brides as young as 12, an investigation has revealed.
The clerics were approached by man posing as the father of a 12-year-old, who wanted to marry off his daughter.
Two imams were prepared to officiate the wedding of the teenage girl, despite fears of underage sex.
According to the Sun, retired Imam Abdul Haq, who worships at East London’s Shoreditch Mosque, allegedly told the investigator that in Islam, once a girl reaches puberty parents have the right to marry off their daughters.
“Tell people it’s an engagement but it will be a marriage. Nobody should know about this. If she talks in school, social workers will take her. You and I will be in trouble,” the Imam added.
Another Imam Mohamed Kassamali, of Husaini Islamic Centre in Peterborough, told the investigator that he would marry a bride of 12.
“I’d love the girl to go to her husband’s house as soon as possible, the younger the better,” he said.
However, he later insisted he would only conduct the wedding if it was legal in Britain, and neither party was forced into it, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside
- Wimbledon 2016: Roger Federer aims to end Marcus Willis fairytale
- Motihari gang-rape: Doctors in Bihar continue to use two-finger test, says NCW report