UK Muslim clerics ‘willing to marry child brides`
London: British Muslim clerics are willing to carry out marriages involving child brides as young as 12, an investigation has revealed.
The clerics were approached by man posing as the father of a 12-year-old, who wanted to marry off his daughter.
Two imams were prepared to officiate the wedding of the teenage girl, despite fears of underage sex.
According to the Sun, retired Imam Abdul Haq, who worships at East London’s Shoreditch Mosque, allegedly told the investigator that in Islam, once a girl reaches puberty parents have the right to marry off their daughters.
“Tell people it’s an engagement but it will be a marriage. Nobody should know about this. If she talks in school, social workers will take her. You and I will be in trouble,” the Imam added.
Another Imam Mohamed Kassamali, of Husaini Islamic Centre in Peterborough, told the investigator that he would marry a bride of 12.
“I’d love the girl to go to her husband’s house as soon as possible, the younger the better,” he said.
However, he later insisted he would only conduct the wedding if it was legal in Britain, and neither party was forced into it, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city