`UK Muslims sending problem children to PoK`
London: British Muslims are sending their "problem children" to Islamic schools in PoK where they are at risk of being recruited by terror outfit al Qaeda, according to secret US diplomatic cables leaked by WikiLeaks.
In a communique dated July 18, 2008, Laura Hickey, a
senior British official, told the Americans that "stabilising
Kashmir is also important for UK domestic security reasons,"
the whistle-blower website said.
According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Hickey,
the Foreign Office`s Pakistan team leader, said there was "a
growing trend of UK-based parents who send their `problem
children` to madrassas in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), and
these students are at high risk of radicalisation."
Later Hickey told US diplomats of "what HMG internally
terms the `Kashmir escalation effect`.
This meant that "while it appears the Government of
Pakistan has ceased to run militant training camps in Kashmir
(POK), the camps continue to operate."
"Terrorist organisations, like al Qaeda, have begun
using these camps as recruitment centres. After additional
training...recruitees are then poised to commit terrorist
activities," Hickey was quoted as saying in the report.
Britain was also concerned that "UK passport-holders
will be recruited to commit terrorist operations in the UK."
"With the continued presence of militant training
camps in (PoK) Kashmir and over half a million UK
passport-holders with ties to the region, HMG is concerned
that UK nationals will be recruited to conduct terrorist
activities in the UK," the official said.
"As part of the `Promoting British Islam` programme,
prominent Muslim Britons of Pakistani descent travel to
Kashmir (POK) on goodwill trips to explain life as a Muslim in
the UK," the cable said.
Gen Deepak Kapoor, the Chief of Indian Army in
November 2009, told newsmen that there are still 42 terror
camps operating across the border in Pakistan in which 2,000
to 2,500 terrorists are still waiting to infiltrate into
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof