UK national abducted in Nigeria
Abuja: A British national was kidnapped in Nigeria`s commercial capital of Lagos shortly after arriving in the country, the UK High Commission in Nigeria has said.
The kidnapping took place on Tuesday when he was travelling from Lagos International airport to his residence in a high brow part of the city, it said.
The vehicle he was travelling in was ambushed by gunmen, with the driver sustaining injuries.
The High Commission said that efforts were being made to secure the release of the hostage whose name had not been revealed yet.
"The BHC is working closely with others to secure the release of the hostage. Because of the nature of this incident, the BHC is not going into further detail about it," it said.
Several British firms operate in Nigeria and they have many expatriate workers.
Kidnappers in Nigeria often demand for ransom before setting free their hostages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'