UK offers more military aid to France for Mali operations
London: Britain has offered more assistance to France in the ongoing military operations against Islamist rebels in Mali. However, Prime Minister David Cameron`s spokesman made it clear that the UK will not take a combat role.
As per reports, Cameron had a telephonic conversation with French President Francois Hollande late on Sunday and discussed the conflict in the West African state. It may be noted that French and Malian government forces are fighting with Islamist insurgents in the country.
The military operation already includes two C-17 military transport aircraft and a Sentinel surveillance plane provided by Britain.
"We are keen to continue to provide further assistance where we can and depending on what French requirements there may be," Cameron`s spokesman said.
"The position on `no combat role` is absolutely unchanged."
However, the Guardian newspaper quoted a Downing Street official as saying that Britain would be ready to send a "sizeable amount" of troops to Mali.
Britain`s national security adviser, Kim Darroch, was in Paris on Monday to assess French military needs, but any British assistance will be restricted to logistics, transport, intelligence and surveillance, Cameron`s spokesman said, reported a leading news agency.
Britain is also sending tens of troops to take part in a European Union mission to train Malian forces.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video