UK phone-hacking: Prison officer held
London: A serving prison officer in Northampton was arrested on Tuesday morning as part of an operation related to the phone-hacking controversy at media baron Rupert Murdoch`s now closed `News of the World` tabloid.
The 31-year-old officer was arrested under Operation Elveden, which is investigating allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials.
The officer is the 44th person arrested under the operation.
Scotland Yard said in a statement that the officer was arrested at his home in Northampton on suspicion of conspiracy to corrupt, contrary to the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 and on suspicion of misconduct in a public office, contrary to Common Law.
He is currently in custody at a police station in Northampton.
The statement added: "Today`s arrest is the result of information provided to police by News Corporation`s Management Standards Committee.”
"It relates to suspected payments to a prison officer and is not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately".
Operation Elveden is being supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and is running in conjunction with Operation Weeting, the inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow