UK phone-hacking: Rebekah Brooks formally charged
London: Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has been formally charged in connection with an ongoing police inquiry into allegations of phone-hacking at the now defunct British tabloid News of the World (NOTW).
Earlier, it was announced that Brooks and six other former NOTW journalists would be charged with conspiring to intercept communications.
The other former NOTW staff who have been formally charged are ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, former reporter James Weatherup and former editor Andy Coulson.
According to the BBC, Brooks will appear before Westminster magistrates on September 03.
Brooks, 44, and Coulson face specific charges relating to the voicemail of murdered Surrey schoolgirl Milly Dowler.
Brooks, in a statement issued last week, insisted that she was innocent.
“The charge concerning Milly Dowler is particularly upsetting, not only as it is untrue but also because I have spent my journalistic career campaigning for victims of crime,” she had said.
“I will vigorously defend these allegations,” she had added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?