UK phone-hacking: Senior cop among 4 arrested
London: A City of London police superintendent is among four persons arrested on Thursday in connection with one of the inquiries set up in the wake of the phone-hacking controversy at Rupert Murdoch`s now defunct News of the World tabloid.
The superintendent was arrested on suspicion of passing unauthorised information to a journalist in London, while two were arrested in Northamptonshire and one from the London borough of Croydon under Operation Eleveden.
The operation is investigating allegations of inappropriate payments to the police and other public officials.
The four arrested today include a journalist of The Sun and a former prison officer.
The former prison officer, 40, was arrested at his home in Corby, Northamptonshire, on suspicion of corruption, misconduct in a public office and money laundering.
While a 37-year-old woman was also arrested in Corby, on suspicion of aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office and money laundering. Both are being questioned at a police station in Northamptonshire.
The arrest in Croydon was of a 31-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to corrupt and conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: "Today`s arrests are the result of information provided to police by News Corporation`s Management Standards Committee."
"They relate to suspected payments to a public official and are not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately," it said.
"The arrests were made...By officers from Operation Elveden which is being supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and is being run in conjunction with Operation Weeting, the MPS inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH