UK police arrest 2 men in phone-hacking probe
London: Two men have been arrested as part
of an investigation into phone hacking at one of Britain`s
best-selling tabloids, British police said on Tuesday.
Metropolitan Police said two men, aged 50 and 42, were
arrested at separate police stations in London on suspicion of
unlawfully intercepting voicemail messages. They declined to
name the men, who remain in custody for questioning.
The arrests are the first since police reopened a
criminal inquiry into phone tapping at the News of The World
following fresh allegations from celebrities, such as Sienna
Miller, who have accused the paper of illegal hacking and
Britain`s Guardian newspaper named the men as the News
of The World`s chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former
news editor Ian Edmondson, who was suspended and then fired
amid the fresh claims.
The News of The World has been at the centre of the
scandal since a reporter and a private investigator employed
by the title were caught illegally eavesdropping on the phones
of the British royal family`s entourage.
The pair were convicted in 2007, but News of the World
executives have long insisted that they were the only ones
responsible for the tapping operation, a claim dismissed as
implausible by the paper`s critics.
The News of The World declined to comment today`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA