UK police arrest 2 over genital mutilation claims
London: Police say they have arrested two men after a newspaper reported that some medical staff in Britain were offering to perform female genital mutilation.
West Midlands Police said a 55-year-old and a 61-year-old were detained today in Birmingham, central England, on suspicion of offenses under the country`s 2003 Female Genital Mutilation Act.
The arrests follow a Sunday Times story that claimed reporters had secretly filmed a doctor, a dentist and an alternative medical practitioner who offered to perform or arrange the procedure, which is illegal in Britain and carries a maximum 14-year prison sentence.
Detective Inspector Caroline Marsh said "I hope this morning`s action sends out a clear message about how seriously we are taking these allegations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’