UK police arrest 2 over genital mutilation claims
London: Police say they have arrested two men after a newspaper reported that some medical staff in Britain were offering to perform female genital mutilation.
West Midlands Police said a 55-year-old and a 61-year-old were detained today in Birmingham, central England, on suspicion of offenses under the country`s 2003 Female Genital Mutilation Act.
The arrests follow a Sunday Times story that claimed reporters had secretly filmed a doctor, a dentist and an alternative medical practitioner who offered to perform or arrange the procedure, which is illegal in Britain and carries a maximum 14-year prison sentence.
Detective Inspector Caroline Marsh said "I hope this morning`s action sends out a clear message about how seriously we are taking these allegations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh