UK police arrest 2 over genital mutilation claims
London: Police say they have arrested two men after a newspaper reported that some medical staff in Britain were offering to perform female genital mutilation.
West Midlands Police said a 55-year-old and a 61-year-old were detained today in Birmingham, central England, on suspicion of offenses under the country`s 2003 Female Genital Mutilation Act.
The arrests follow a Sunday Times story that claimed reporters had secretly filmed a doctor, a dentist and an alternative medical practitioner who offered to perform or arrange the procedure, which is illegal in Britain and carries a maximum 14-year prison sentence.
Detective Inspector Caroline Marsh said "I hope this morning`s action sends out a clear message about how seriously we are taking these allegations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry