UK police arrest 7 over last summer`s riots
London: Seven people in Britain were arrested on suspicion of instigating the riots that swept London last summer, police said on Thursday.
Six of the suspects were taken into custody in dawn raids targetting suspected gang members at 11 addresses across London, Scotland Yard said. The seventh later was arrested later at a north London police station.
Police said those arrested are suspected of involvement in the initial disorder, which took place in north London and "clearly acted as a catalyst" for the further unrest.
Riots erupted August 6 in north London and flared for four nights across the capital and other English cities as street gangs and looters trashed shops and vehicles.
Police said today that one 19-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and burglary, while five male suspected gang members -- aged 17 to 19 -- were arrested on similar charges in the dawn raids.
A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and burglary after presenting himself at a north London police station, police said. The seven suspects remained in custody at London police stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH