UK police arrest hacking suspect
London: British police investigating
phone-hacking at Rupert Murdoch`s News of the World arrested
the former chief reporter of the tabloid on Wednesday for allegedly
intimidating a witness.
Neville Thurlbeck, 51, was initially arrested on suspicion
of the illegal interception of mobile phone voicemails in
April last year and has been on police bail ever since.
Scotland Yard said a 51-year-old man was arrested by
appointment today at a central London police station "on
suspicion of intimidation of a witness... and encouraging or
assisting an offence."
It confirmed he had originally been arrested on April 5,
2011 and identified him as Suspect A in Operation Weeting, the
force`s phone-hacking investigation. Thurlbeck was identified
at the time as suspect A.
Thurlbeck last week wrote a blog publishing the street
address of Will Lewis, a senior executive at News
International, the British newspaper arm of Murdoch`s US-based
News Corporation empire.
He later removed the address, saying he accepted that it
was "distressing to his family" and that he "would like to
apologise to Mrs Lewis for any distress."
News International said it had no comment on the arrest.
Thurlbeck has sued the company for unfair dismissal.
News of his arrest comes a day after police arrested
former News International chief executive and ex-News of the
World editor Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charlie Brooks, a
close friend of Prime Minister David Cameron, on suspicion of
perverting the course of justice.
Murdoch shut down the News of the World in July after
evidence emerged of widespread phone hacking at the tabloid,
but his British newspapers continue to be dogged by
allegations they covered up the practice. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17