UK police arrest man over Olympic tweets
London: A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of posting malicious Twitter messages directed at British Olympic diver Tom Daley, U K police said on Tuesday.
Daley`s father died of brain cancer a year ago and the 18-year-old Olympian had hoped to win a medal "for myself and my dad." But he finished fourth yesterday, out of medal contention, in the 10-meter synchronized platform competition with teammate Pete Waterfield.
Afterward, Daley tweeted a message complaining about some of the tweets sent to him by "idiots."
He cited one tweet that read: "You let your dad down i hope you know that."
He said the nasty tweet about his father came in after he had been "giving it my all" in the bid for a medal.
Dorset Police said early today that a 17-year-old man was arrested "on suspicion of malicious communications" in relation to Twitter threats made against Daley.
Police said the man was detained at a bed and breakfast in the southwestern coastal town of Weymouth in the early hours of the morning, and is currently helping police with their inquiries.
The man who made the tweet also apologised in subsequent tweets for any offense had had caused Daley.
In Britain, tweeting messages considered menacing, offensive or indecent can lead to prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa