UK police arrest seven in anti-terror operation
London: British police on Monday arrested seven people as part of a large intelligence-led anti terror operation in the central city of Birmingham.
West Midlands police said six men were arrested overnight and were being held under anti-terror legislation. A woman was also arrested Monday morning for failing to disclose information that may be relevant. All seven suspects are aged between 22 and 32.
Assistant police chief Marcus Beale said in a statement that the men were arrested in or near their homes by unarmed police officers as part of a "large, pre-planned, intelligence-led counter terrorism operation."
He said police are now searching six homes and one commercial property in Birmingham.
"I believe it was necessary to take action at this time in order to ensure public safety," Beale said. He said the operation is still at an early stage, and declined to give more details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed