UK police arrest seven in anti-terror operation
London: British police on Monday arrested seven people as part of a large intelligence-led anti terror operation in the central city of Birmingham.
West Midlands police said six men were arrested overnight and were being held under anti-terror legislation. A woman was also arrested Monday morning for failing to disclose information that may be relevant. All seven suspects are aged between 22 and 32.
Assistant police chief Marcus Beale said in a statement that the men were arrested in or near their homes by unarmed police officers as part of a "large, pre-planned, intelligence-led counter terrorism operation."
He said police are now searching six homes and one commercial property in Birmingham.
"I believe it was necessary to take action at this time in order to ensure public safety," Beale said. He said the operation is still at an early stage, and declined to give more details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler