UK Police make eighth counter-terrorism arrest
London: UK Police on Thursday said they had made an eighth arrest in connection with a major counter-terrorism operation in Birmingham.
West Midlands police said a 20-year-old man was detained on suspicion of the "commission, preparation or instigation" of an act of terrorism on British soil. Detectives said he was arrested by appointment at a police station.
Earlier this week, police arrested six men and a woman as part of the same "large, pre-planned, intelligence-led" operation.
The men continue to be questioned and officers have until Sunday night to charge or release them, or apply for a warrant of further detention.
The woman has been given police bail pending further enquiries.
Britain lowered its international terrorism threat level from severe to substantial -- the third highest level -- in July, a year before London hosts the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!