`UK Police may probe Werritty for possible fraud`
London: London Police are considering
investigating Adam Werritty, the close friend of former
defence secretary Liam Fox, for possible fraud, media reports
said on Sunday.
Labour MP John Mann has asked the police to probe
allegations Werritty used business cards falsely claiming he
was an adviser to Fox.
Fox had resigned on Friday after a week of damaging
headlines over his working relationship with Werritty, his
former flatmate and best man.
A City of London Police spokesman confirmed they had
received an allegation of fraud.
"Officers from the force`s economic crime directorate
will consider the matter and establish whether or not it is
appropriate to launch an investigation," the BBC quoted a
police spokesman as saying.
Reports said Werritty had met Fox 22 times at the
Ministry of Defence and joined him on 18 overseas trips since
he came to office last year - despite having no official role.
Werritty was present at meetings Fox had with military
figures, diplomats and defence contractors.
Meanwhile, Fox`s conduct is also being investigated by
Cabinet Secretary Sir Gus O`Donnell.
His report is due to be published on Tuesday, British
Foreign Secretary William Hague said, adding that Prime
Minister David Cameron would then consider what action to
take, in particular over the role of lobbyists.
Hague also rejected suggestions that Fox and Werritty
may have been independently trying to create foreign policy.
"The idea that it`s possible to run a completely
separate policy by one minister is a fanciful idea," he said.
Asked about fresh, unconfirmed allegations relating to
Werritty dealing with Iranian exiles and discussing the
overthrow of the Ahmadinejad regime, Hague said that, in his
experience, Fox had always co-ordinated with him and the
"If I asked him not to go to Sri Lanka, then he didn`t
go. Or if I asked him when he went to convey messages of the
government, messages from me then he conveyed those messages."
"One adviser or non-adviser, whatever he may have been
to one minister, isn`t able to run a totally different policy
from the rest of the government. And I think people can at
least be reassured about that."
Meanwhile, The Sunday Telegraph reported that some of
the rich company donors were furious at being drawn into the
row and had complained they were misled about the use of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA