UK police put phone-hack victims at around 800
London: The total number of people whose
phones were hacked by journalists at the News of the World
tabloid is around 800, British police said on Saturday.
Scotland Yard said investigators have spoken with 2,037
people, of whom "in the region of 803 are victims" whose names
appeared in notes seized from a private investigator working
for Rupert Murdoch`s now-shuttered News of the World.
"We are confident that we have personally contacted all
the people who have been hacked or who are likely to have been
hacked," it said.
Police had identified 5,795 potential phone-hacking
victims in material collected from Glenn Mulcaire, the private
investigator at the center of the scandal who was jailed in
Scotland Yard said today that while there are still "a
raft of people" it needs to speak to who were identified as
potential targets, those individuals are unlikely to have been
What had for several years been a trickle of allegations
by people who claimed to have been hacked by the News of the
World from celebrities like Sienna Miller and Jude Law to
politicians including former Deputy Prime Minister John
Prescott exploded this summer with the revelation that the
paper had hacked into the phone of a 13-year-old murder
victim, Milly Dowler, in hopes of getting material for news
Two top London police officers and several senior Murdoch
executives resigned in the scandal, and the investigation into
phone-hacking has seen more than a dozen News of the World
journalists arrested, including former editor Andy Coulson,
who resigned his post as Prime Minister David Cameron`s media
chief as the scandal widened.
It also has prompted multiple investigations and an
official inquiry into media ethics, which has heard from the
Dowler family and celebrities such as Hugh Grant about the
effects of media intrusion on their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan