UK police report surge in hate crimes
London: The head of London`s police force says the number of hate crimes against Muslims in the city increased substantially after the killing of soldier Lee Rigby.
Bernard Hogan-Howe said in a web chat today the number of hate crimes reported to police went from one per day to eight per day after the May 22 slaying.
He says the number has since dropped to two per day. Two Islamic extremists are accused of killing Rigby near his army barracks. One suspect was filmed boasting of the killing moments afterward in a widely broadcast video.
Hogan-Howe said extra police patrols have been added around "high-risk" sites. There have been a number of arson attacks on mosques throughout Britain since the killing. Some mosques have been defaced with graffiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you