UK police report surge in hate crimes
London: The head of London`s police force says the number of hate crimes against Muslims in the city increased substantially after the killing of soldier Lee Rigby.
Bernard Hogan-Howe said in a web chat today the number of hate crimes reported to police went from one per day to eight per day after the May 22 slaying.
He says the number has since dropped to two per day. Two Islamic extremists are accused of killing Rigby near his army barracks. One suspect was filmed boasting of the killing moments afterward in a widely broadcast video.
Hogan-Howe said extra police patrols have been added around "high-risk" sites. There have been a number of arson attacks on mosques throughout Britain since the killing. Some mosques have been defaced with graffiti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog