UK police trail Indian-origin conman
London: British police have appealed to the people of city of Leicester to guard against an Indian-origin `spiritual guru` wanted in connection with a series of blackmails and high-value frauds.
Leicestershire Police warned public in the pre-dominantly Indian dominated city against the conman who goes by the name Kamal-Ji and purports to be a devotee of Sai Baba.
They said the traditional Indian kurta-pyjama wearing man initially offers healing and astrology services to win trust of his victims and attempts to assist them for business success, matrimonial issues, health and relationship issues.
Then, he demands money to purchase items, defrauding them of tens of thousands of pounds paid in cash or through bank accounts.
Detective Sergeant Mark Sinski said: "The suspect has advertised his services in Leicestershire by radio and newspaper adverts and on flyers. Subsequently his services have then been recommended by word of mouth with some victims living out of the county.
"We are looking into the possibility that the suspect has previously operated in other areas, and may have recommenced his activities elsewhere in the UK. It is also possible that he may now have left the country."
The police have also released an image of Kamal-Ji.
"I would appeal to anyone who believes they know the identity of the man in the image to get in touch. He could have vital information which will help with our enquiries," Sinski said.
The suspect is described as a dark-skinned Asian male of stocky build in his early 40s, who walks with a limp which may or may not be put on, and speaks softly, usually in Hindi.
"He is known to wear a traditional Indian white kurta pyjama," reads the police appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state