UK polls: Labour Party’s support drops to lowest level in 6 months
London: The ruling Labour Party’s support is declining to the lowest level in Britain in last six months, giving a fresh blow to the party’s election campaign, according to a new ICM poll.
The Conservatives are up two points on 35 percent; the Liberal Democrats are up one on 31 percent while Labour is down two on 26 percent in the latest Sunday Telegraph/ICM opinion poll, compared with the last poll by ICM last week.
While giving the Tories a clear lead, the poll shows that they are still well short of where they need to be to win an overall majority.
All respondents were polled after the second televised election debate between the three main party leaders last Thursday, The Telegraph reports.
With less than two weeks to go before May 06 polls, if the figures were repeated on polling day, they would give the Conservatives 284 seats, Labour 232, and the Lib Dems 102 seats.
The Conservatives would be the largest party but still 42 seats short of a majority. Labour and Liberal Democrats would be able to form a majority coalition, but only just.
Asked who would make the best economic team, 30 percent voters picked David Cameron and George Osborne, while 27 percent picked Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling and 22 percent picked Nick Clegg and Vince Cable.
John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde university, said: “The Prime Minister is in danger of leading his party to its worst electoral defeat since 1918. At 26 percent, the party’s poll rating is even less than the 28 percent it secured under Michael Foot’s leadership in 1983.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!