UK polls: Labour Party’s support drops to lowest level in 6 months
London: The ruling Labour Party’s support is declining to the lowest level in Britain in last six months, giving a fresh blow to the party’s election campaign, according to a new ICM poll.
The Conservatives are up two points on 35 percent; the Liberal Democrats are up one on 31 percent while Labour is down two on 26 percent in the latest Sunday Telegraph/ICM opinion poll, compared with the last poll by ICM last week.
While giving the Tories a clear lead, the poll shows that they are still well short of where they need to be to win an overall majority.
All respondents were polled after the second televised election debate between the three main party leaders last Thursday, The Telegraph reports.
With less than two weeks to go before May 06 polls, if the figures were repeated on polling day, they would give the Conservatives 284 seats, Labour 232, and the Lib Dems 102 seats.
The Conservatives would be the largest party but still 42 seats short of a majority. Labour and Liberal Democrats would be able to form a majority coalition, but only just.
Asked who would make the best economic team, 30 percent voters picked David Cameron and George Osborne, while 27 percent picked Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling and 22 percent picked Nick Clegg and Vince Cable.
John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde university, said: “The Prime Minister is in danger of leading his party to its worst electoral defeat since 1918. At 26 percent, the party’s poll rating is even less than the 28 percent it secured under Michael Foot’s leadership in 1983.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list