UK polls: Labour Party’s support drops to lowest level in 6 months
London: The ruling Labour Party’s support is declining to the lowest level in Britain in last six months, giving a fresh blow to the party’s election campaign, according to a new ICM poll.
The Conservatives are up two points on 35 percent; the Liberal Democrats are up one on 31 percent while Labour is down two on 26 percent in the latest Sunday Telegraph/ICM opinion poll, compared with the last poll by ICM last week.
While giving the Tories a clear lead, the poll shows that they are still well short of where they need to be to win an overall majority.
All respondents were polled after the second televised election debate between the three main party leaders last Thursday, The Telegraph reports.
With less than two weeks to go before May 06 polls, if the figures were repeated on polling day, they would give the Conservatives 284 seats, Labour 232, and the Lib Dems 102 seats.
The Conservatives would be the largest party but still 42 seats short of a majority. Labour and Liberal Democrats would be able to form a majority coalition, but only just.
Asked who would make the best economic team, 30 percent voters picked David Cameron and George Osborne, while 27 percent picked Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling and 22 percent picked Nick Clegg and Vince Cable.
John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde university, said: “The Prime Minister is in danger of leading his party to its worst electoral defeat since 1918. At 26 percent, the party’s poll rating is even less than the 28 percent it secured under Michael Foot’s leadership in 1983.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside
- Govt mulls curbs on sugar sales at mill level to check prices
- iPhone 7 to be launched on September 16: Report
- Virat Kohli: The making of India's greatest Test captain
- Pacer Neil Wagner bags six wickets as New Zealand restrict Zimbabwe to 164 on Day 1