UK polls: Tories, Lib Dems to hold govt formation talks
London: Hectic lobbying were on in Britain
to cobble up a majority to form a coalition government after
voters handed out a hung verdict in the polls, as Tories and
Liberal Democrats are set to meet tomorrow to thrash out a
pact to oust Prime Minister Gordon Brown from Downing Street.
Out of 648 seats declared yesterday, Tories won 305
seats, while Labour bagged 258 and Liberal Democrats secured
57 in the 650-member House of Commons. A total of 326 seats
are required for an absolute majority.
However, no deal will be done on any possible
coalition between the Liberal Democrats and Conservatives
before Monday, Tories said today.
Top-level negotiating teams from both Tories and Lib
Dems are due to meet tomorrow morning as they try to thrash
out a pact that would finally oust Gordon Brown from Downing
But the news that talks are set to drag on will
further unsettle the financial markets which plunged yesterday
when it became apparent that Britain was stuck with a hung
The pound and the London stock market took a
battering because of the political turmoil, with Brown - who
polled just 29 per cent of the vote - refusing to shift from
This morning Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg spoke to
senior party MPs about joining the Conservatives in a
And David Cameron, the Conservative leader had talks
with his inner circle at the Tory Headquarters before heading
to join the other two leaders at the Cenotaph for a ceremony
to mark the 65th anniversary of VE (Victory in Europe) Day -
declared on May 8, 1945.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'