UK prosecutors charge DJ with indecent assault
London: A prominent British disc jockey has been charged with 11 counts of indecent assault and one count of sexual assault, authorities said on Thursday, for offenses that allegedly occurred over a period of 30 years.
DJ Dave Lee Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, was arrested in November as part of a wide-ranging police inquiry that began by looking into allegations against the late Jimmy Savile, a BBC TV host suspected of abusing hundreds of underage girls.
British prosecutors on Thursday said they decided to charge the DJ with the 12 counts dating from 1977 to 2007, and related to eight women and one teenager who were between the ages of 15 and 29 at the times of the alleged assaults.
Travis, 68, has denied any wrongdoing, and his lawyer said on Thursday that the DJ is "naturally disappointed" by the decision to file charges.
"We will be taking stock of the position in the coming weeks once we have full details of the prosecution case," lawyer Martin Bale said. "Travis denies the allegations and looks forward to having the opportunity to clear his name."
Travis will appear at London`s Westminster Magistrates` Court on August 23.
He is best known for his nearly 30-year career with the BBC: a long stint on BBC Radio 1, a presenter of Top of the Pops on BBC TV, and a long-running radio show on the BBC World Service. Travis recently was DJ`ing a weekend show on Magic AM, but following his arrest, Bauer Media said it was suspending the show until the investigation was resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble