London: The royal family in the UK has
been asked to cut spendings by around 25 per cent as part of a
government review to check expenditure amid efforts to speed
up recovery from the worst economic recession in generations.
Government officials have said they expect Queen
Elizabeth II and her family to share the burden of budget cuts
in the toughest review for a generation due on October 20, the
Daily Express reported today.
Queen`s annual Civil List payment, for performing her
duties as head of state, has already been frozen at 7.9
million pounds while a wider review of royal funding is being
conducted, the report said.
Now the royal family’s two other main sources of state
funding, 22 million pounds for palace maintenance and travel
have been earmarked for cuts over the next three years, it
The slash, which will come into effect in April 2011,
may lead to the Queens and other royals undertaking fewer
official duties in the run-up to her Diamond Jubilee year in
"All our bodies that we pay grants to have been told
to expect reductions in the region of 25 per cent and the
royal household is certainly not exempt from that," an
official at the Department for Culture, which pays 15 million
pounds a year for palaces, was quoted as saying by the British
Officials at the Department for Transport, which
granted the royal family 7.3 million pounds last year, were
equally adamant the royal family would be hit by cuts.
Buckingham Palace puts the annual cost of the monarchy
to the taxpayer at 38.2 million pounds but that figure does
not include security and other costs which put the bill closer
to 180 million pounds a year.