UK quietly defers law to control political funding: Report
The UK legislation seeking to limit non-domicile funding of political parties appears to have been deferred till after the next general election, even as leading NRI industrialist and key Labour contributor Lord Swraj Paul maintained today that he would follow the law on the issue.
A leading newspaper today reported that the legislation
seeking to limit donations from individuals who are domiciled
abroad for tax purposes to not more than 7,500 pounds a year,
has been quietly dropped until after the general elections due
in May next year.
The disclosure means that key Labour donors such as NRI
steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal and Tory donor Lord Ashcroft will
be able to continue pumping millions of pounds in the election
campaigns, despite promises by different political parties to
curb the influence of wealthy supporters.
Commenting on the Observer report, Lord Paul told a news agency: "I
I have always maintained that I follow the law."
Lord Paul, Chairman of the Caparo Group of Industries
and member of the Privy Council, said though the `non-dom`
bill for tax purposes was passed on July 20, the "effective
date of enforcement has to be decided yet."
The delay in enforcing the law has prompted accusations
that the government has "nobbled" an act of parliament by
failing to ask the Electoral Commission to enforce the rule,
the Observer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi